Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Last Five Hours!


I set up my new toy and spent hours practicing one song! Both wrists are sore and so are my fingers on my right hand; it's wonderful!! I never thought I would be able to practice like that again! After all that practice, what do I have to show for it? =) The first 2 pages of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata re-memorized! Yay, me.

I figured I should start with a rather simple song to loosen my fingers. This song in particular always reminds me of Liberace. I remember watching TV and seeing a clip of him in his later years, playing this song without a keyboard. I was very young and did not understand what he was doing. I did not understand why he was moving his fingers as though he were actually playing the keys on the piano. However, the piece played despite the non-existent instrument. As my intrigue of this phenomenon increased, I found myself rapt in his passion. I remember the emotion conveyed in his face as he put his entire being into the song. I finally understood that while his eyes were closed, he pretended to play a piano, and we, as viewers, heard the song as though we were hearing his thoughts.

From then on, I practiced playing with as much passion as he. Although I have said many time over that I have committed emotional suicide, I realize that these emotions merely have been dormant. Now I am able to allow my emotions to rage freely through the songs I play.

No comments:

Post a Comment