Friday, May 22, 2009

Movie Review: Somewhere In Time (1980)

Somewhere In Time (1980)

Richard Matheson is one of my favorite SF writers. Yes, Somewhere In Time is a bit "dated" in its production but its story can be told throughout the ages. I saw this movie when I was very young, probably no more than 3 feet tall. I remember seeing Superman; this became one of those moments where I realized the concept of actors - people pretending to be other people for the entertainment of others. This movie also taught me how to wonder. Of all the movies and television shows and cartoons of my youth, it was this movie that began my sense of wonder. My mom was always bothered with questions like: How did he know her before he met her?, Does time travel really work?, What is hypnotism?, Do you think if I try time travel, it would really work?, Would you miss me as much as he missed her?

Granted, this is a love story and the genre has really never been palatible - until now. I knew the story was about love, but it appeared to be more. Well, maybe not more, but rather different. I had never seen anyone love as much and as passionately as Richard Collier, the main character. Bear in mind, I am not talking about intimate passion; I am referring to the passion one has when there body shakes with emotion, sometimes literally.

Alright ... so why, might you ask, am I writing a review on an almost 30 year old movie that doesn't seem to connect with anything. Simply this, I heard one of my all-time favorite classical pieces and it is played quite often in this movie; so, I watched the movie again after a very long hiatus. The following is a video I made to give you a little insight into the movie:

No comments:

Post a Comment