Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek 2009: A Modest Review remembering "Way Back When'

Whoa! What an awesome ride, awesome adventure, and characters brought back from ages ago seen in a new light! The original Star Trek series came out in 1966. Who knew it would continue its fame throughout the ages! This sci-fi is truly beyond time. I saw this past weekend. Once more making a few sacrifices, suffering sleep deprivation and feeling the pangs of hunger, in addition to chauffeuring a sibling after a long and weary day. Oh the agony of such sacrifices all for the great cause of Star Trek.

What caught my attention with this film is that the writers and directors were not trying to recreate the original characters exactly as before, continuing our love of the series. Instead, it was written with the knowledge that they would never be able to duplicate what time has rendered timeless. William Shatner will always play the best Captain Kirk. Leonard Nimoy will always be the true Spock, and so on with all the remaining original cast members. The story is such that the series will live on through the same "charming" characters and personalities, but we will know they are different because they must. This Star Trek is so true to the genre that we have no choice but to see different faces to the same characters yet feel the presence of those same, "old" personalities. And still, we accept that.

On a personal note, ever since I can remember I have been a fan of the original Star Trek television show. It reminds me of better times I spent with my father. No one else in the family was as devoted as he and I. Even when we couldn't watch the reruns together (because of conflicting schedules), he would record the show so we could watch it together. I was really young and didn't know any better. Despite the different ages that these Star Treks are aired, what was true for Star Trek in 1966 is true for today's 2009 version. After watching this Star Trek, I was transported back in time to my youth, sitting in the family room with my father and enjoying a great story, with a great message, and leaving me with a sense of wonder about the whole world beyond my own.

Training Update: last Sunday. Approximately 4 miles (eeee! I'm increasing mileage!) at 00:48:21. A 50 meter sprint uphill - that was almost just as hard as the 48-minute run! Then, about 30 more minutes of a bo workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment